- About JCC Menu
- Mission & Vision
- Quick Facts
- College Directory
- College Administration
- College Departments
- Academic Advisement
- Continuing Education
- Learning Skills
- TRIO Student Support Services
- Student Records
- Title IX
- Zoo Technology
- Higher Education Center
- Lab Sciences
- Board of Trustees
- Foundation Board of Directors
- Board of Legislators
- Employment Resources
- Maps and Directions
- Applications and Forms
Professional and Peer Tutoring in English, Reading, and Math
- STAR students appreciate the intensive level of support provided by our professional tutors in the areas of English, reading, and math.
- STAR professional tutors meet daily with students to provide one-on-one support preparing for exams, reviewing essays, amd reinforcing course topics.
- In addition to one-on-one professional tutoring, STAR also hires peer tutors to be available as needed.
STAR counselors meet with students each semester to review graduation requirements and assist with registration
Career, Transfer, and Personal Counseling
- STAR counselors want to make sure students feel good about the degree they are pursuing and are aware of the necessary requirements.
- Career Exploration: 1 credit hour course will help students confirm a career choice or may lead them in a new direction! Students use career software, self assessments in personality and interests, learning styles, skills, abilities, and values.
- STAR assists students to identify transfer schools and admissions contacts, explain articulation agreements, and help submit applications to ensure a smooth transmission beyond Jefferson.
- STAR offers personal counseling to students struggling with everyday situations that may impact their college performance. In some cases, we may refer to a community agency to meet individual needs.
Financial Aid Counseling/Financial Literacy
STAR encourages students to apply for financial resources and reminds students when it is time to renew their applications for the following year. STAR also incorporates a financial literacy course that all STAR students take as part of our program.
Need Based Scholarships
STAR has money reserved to award need-based scholarships to students that are Pell eligible and participate in program services.
Study Area Equipped with Computers
STAR has a private lab attached to our office equipped with computers, a printer, and a quiet study space.
Summer Bridge for New Students
Summer Bridge is designed for new students that place into developmental Reading and/orEnglish. This program gives a student the opportunity to “bridge” the gap between their current academic abilities and the start of college level coursework. The course work is free! The only cost to the student is the textbook. In addition to classroom lecture time, students participate in Math, Information and Computer Literacy, Career Exploration, and College Readiness Workshops. In addition, need-based scholarships will be available to students that complete the Summer Bridge program.
2013 Summer Bridge Dates
July 8–August 15
Monday–Thursday/9:00 am–1:00 pm
Students tell us they like Summer Bridge because:
- They get to know the campus and develop friendships.
- It saves them money and time.
- There is still time for summer employment.
- Participation may make them eligible for need-based scholarships.