Tracking Pixel

Jefferson Community College Website

Register for Classes - FAQ

Why seek advisement?
Your academic advisor will be able to explain your degree requirements, assist with selecting courses that will help you attain your educational goals, and help keep you aware of important academic policies and deadlines.  Your advisor is there to help ensure you have a positive academic experience at Jefferson

Who is my advisor?
As a new student at Jefferson, your initial advising session is likely to be with a professional advisor in the Advising, Career and Transfer Center (ACTC).  Shortly after the start of your first semester, a faculty member from your program of study will be assigned as your permanent academic advisor.  You can see who your advisor is and where their office is located by clicking MyJCC, following the directions for logging in, then clicking Deeplinks/Quicklinks, and Who’s my Advisor.

Continuing students generally have the same advisor each semester. Students who are approved for a curriculum change will be assigned a new advisor in their new program.

Am I required to meet with an advisor?
We believe that academic advisement plays an important role in ensuring that you achieve your educational and career goals in a timely and efficient manner; therefore, if you are seeking a degree, you should meet with your advisor prior to registering for Fall and Summer semesters.

I previously attended JCC, do I need to reapply through Admissions to come back?
If your last semester of attendance at JCC was within the last 5 years and you left in good academic standing, you do not need to re-apply for admission.  You can contact the Advising, Career and Transfer Center (ACTC) to schedule an advising and registration appointment. If it has been more than 5 years since you last attended Jefferson, you will be required to submit another Admissions application.

How do I change my major?
You should consult with your advisor if you are considering changing your major.  To process a change of major, you must complete a Change of Matriculation form; have it signed by the Dean of your Academic Division or the Director of the Advising, Career and Transfer Center.  The form must be submitted to the Student Records Office by the 10th day of the semester.

Do I need to take a placement test? Why?
The placement test helps us determine the appropriate level of courses to schedule for your first semester at Jefferson.  Most students will be required to take the placement tests.  You may be exempted from placement testing if you have previously completed college-level math and English courses or if you have outstanding high school grades.

Why do I have to take a non-credit course?
Based on your placement test results and the requirements of your degree or certificate program, you may be required to take preparatory non-credit courses. The purpose is to help students strengthen skills in critical areas so that they will be successful in subsequent credit bearing coursework.

Do I need an appointment to meet with an advisor?
As a general rule, you should schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor (current students) or the Advising, Career and Transfer Center (new/returning/transfer students).  The Advising, Career and Transfer Center can often assist students with quick schedule revisions on a walk-in basis.

When do I get an assigned advisor?
New students are assigned an advisor during the first few weeks of their first semester. The advisor assignment can be viewed in MyJCC in the Deeplinks/Quicklinks section. Continuing students generally have the same advisor each semester. Students who are approved for a curriculum change will be assigned a new advisor in their new program.

What if my advisor’s available hours are different from mine?
If your advisor is not available at any times that you are, you may be able to make arrangements with him/her to conduct an advising session via-telephone or e-mail.  If that is not possible, you should contact the secretary of your academic division to request a new advisor.

What if I am a non-matriculated student (I’m not registered in a degree program)?
If you are not seeking a degree you should seek registration assistance from the Advising, Career and Transfer Center.  You may schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor or you may simply download and submit a registration form.

Is it possible for me to get into a closed class?
As a general rule the College does not allow an overload into a closed class.  However, when the closed class is specifically required to graduate that semester, you should contact the department chair of the class to see if they would consider an overload.

What is a degree audit? How do you run it and how is it used?
A degree audit is an assessment of how you are progressing towards completing your degree requirements. You can view your degree audit by going to the MyJCC portal and selecting Degree Audit in from the SOAR Deep Links tab on the top of the page.  Directions for running your degree audit can be found in the Degree Audit Tutorial.

If I need to stop attending college, how would I withdraw from JCC?
If you can no longer attend JCC during a semester, it is very important that you file a Total Withdrawal form with our Student Records Office.  Failure to properly withdraw from your classes could result in receiving failing grades and consequently a possible academic dismissal.

What is the policy for receiving college credit for Advanced Placement work done in high school?
JCC awards credit for Advanced Placement course work completed while in high school.  You can view our AP credit awards on our Advanced Placement credit awards table.

Can my parents (or anyone else) contact the College and get information about me or my grades?
The Federal Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) prevents JCC from providing information about a student’s classes or grades to parents without written permission from the student.

How long will it take to finish my Associates Degree?
It depends on how many credits you complete each semester. Most degrees require that you complete 62 or more credits.  Students who have the time and academic background to take 15-17 credits per semester can finish their degree in 4 semesters. Many of our students who work and/or have family responsibilities typically take lighter loads and will take longer to finish a degree.

What does a credit hour mean?
All courses will have a credit hour value based on how often the course meets. Courses may be 1, 2, 3, 4 credit hours or more in specialized programs.  For full-term semesters, a class typically meets one hour per week for each credit hour.  Thus, a 3-credit hour course would meet three hours each week.  Students enrolled in 12 credit hours would commonly be in classes 12 hours each week.

How many credits is a realistic course load?
What an appropriate course load is depends on other factors such as work, family responsibilities, academic skills, etc.  Ask you advisor to help you decide.    As a general guideline for college courses, you should expect two hours of homework for each hour in the classroom.  For example, if a student is enrolled in 4 three-credit hour courses for a total of 12 credits, he/she can expect to be in the class room for 12 hours and have 24 hours of homework for a total work load of 36 hours per week.  The chart below provides an estimate of the total hours of school work associated with each credit load. The chart below shows the typical time requirements based on various credit loads. 

# Credit Hours Enrolled

Hours of School Work Per Week












How many hours a week should I plan on studying?
For homework/study time, we recommend two (2) hours for every class hour.

What is a prerequisite?
Some courses require that you have completed a specific course or have specific skills prior to enrolling in them.  The prior course or set of specific skills is the prerequisite for the course.  The course description for each course will indicate whether the course has a prerequisite. Some courses must be taken in sequence, for example English 101 is prerequisite to English 102.

Are Distance Learning (online) courses right for me?
There are many advantages to Distance Learning (online) courses. However, they require a significant amount of reading and often require more effort and demand more commitment than traditional “in class” courses.

How much work can I expect to do for a course?
It will vary with each course, but the general rule is two hours of work outside of class for every “lecture hour” in class. For example, a three credit hour course will require six hours per week of work outside of class.Class attendance is a key to success. Not attending may affect financial aid. See page #4 of the Student Activity Calendar regarding “Absence from Class”.

Everyone is different. However, research shows that students who work no more than 15 - 20 hours per week are more successful in college courses.

Advising and Advisors

Will my advisor tell me what courses to take?
Your advisor will help you to clarify your educational, career, and life goals as well as assist you in selecting the most appropriate courses to meet your needs. Both students and advisors have important roles and responsibilities in the advising process. Ultimately, you are the one who schedules and registers for your courses.

When should I meet with my advisor?
You should meet with your advisor whenever you have a question about academic issues, your plan of study, campus resources, or possible graduation. You should also meet with your advisor every semester before you register for classes.

Registration and Withdrawal 

After I have registered, is there anything else I need to do?
Yes, you will need to pay your tuition and fees bill by the payment due date and purchase your books prior to the start of class.  If you have a financial aid award, you must make sure your aid has been awarded to your account prior to the payment due date.  You can check your financial aid award and your bill amount in MyJCC.

Can I change my schedule?
You may drop and/or add classes to your schedule before the start of classes and in many cases very early into the semester.  Generally, you may add a class during the first week of a full-term class and can drop a class during the first three weeks of a full-term class. The drop/add periods are much shorter for shorter term classes.  The deadline for adding an online class occurs one full business day prior to the start of classes.

What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?
You may drop a course throughout the refund period of that course.  When you drop a course it will no longer be reflected on your academic records and will result in lowering your credit total for the semester.  Dropping a course will usually impact your financial aid award. 

After the drop period ends, you may withdraw from a course until the 75% point of the semester.  A withdrawn course will receive a neutral grade of ‘W” and will appear on your transcript.  When withdrawing from a course, your credit load will remain unchanged for the semester.  You should check with our Financial Services Office to determine the impact a course drop or withdrawal will have on your financial aid.

What is the refund policy if I drop a course?
The refund policy is established by the State University of New York (SUNY) and varies according to the length of the term.  The refund schedule is listed below

Refund Policy for Classes taught in an 8 week term or less

  • Before first week of classes           100% Refund
  • During the 1st week of classes:      25% Refund
  • During the 2nd week of classes:       No Refund       

Refund Policy for Full Semester Classes                                                 

  • Before first week of classes           100% Refund
  • During the 1st week of classes:      75% Refund
  • During the 2nd week of classes:     50% Refund
  • During the 3rd week of classes:      25% Refund
  • After the 3rd week of classes:         No Refund


Can I repeat a course? If I repeat a course, does the higher grade count?
You may repeat a course if the grade you received was not a ‘D’ or lower.  The most recent grade will count when repeating a course.  For example, if you repeat a course for which you received a ‘D’ and then earn an ‘F’, the ‘F’ grade will be the grade that counts towards your GPA.   However, both grades appear on your JCC transcript. Students should be aware that repeating a course when a passing grade was received (D or above) could affect financial aid eligibility. Be sure to consult a financial aid counselor or academic advisor.