- Academics Menu
- Programs of Study
- Bachelors & Advanced Degrees
- Honors Program
- Academic Policies
- Articulation Agreements
- Accounting A.A.S.
- Accounting A.S.
- Accounting Certificate
- Business Administration A.A.S.
- Business Administration A.S.
- Business Administration (jointly registered with SUNY Potsdam) A.S./B.S.
- Computer Information Systems A.S.
- Computer Information Technology A.A.S.
- Computer Science A.S.
- Criminal Justice A.S.
- Criminal Justice Certificate
- Early Childhood AAS
- Engineering Science AS
- Fire Protection Technology Certificate
- Fire Protection Technology AAS
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism Certificate
- Human Services AS
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. Literature Concentration
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA/BA
- Individual Studies AA, AS, AAS
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.- Creative Writing Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.
- Office Studies Certificate
- Office Technologies - Administrative Assistant A.A.S.
- Paralegal A.A.S.
- Office Technologies - Medical A.A.S.
- Paramedic AAS
- Paramedic Certificate
- Physical Education, A.S.
- Renewable Energy Management Certificate
- Sports Management AS
- Teaching Assistant Certificate
- Winery Management & Marketing Certificate
- Chemical Dependency A.A.S.
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Hotel/Restaurant Management Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration
- Zoo Technology A.A.S.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S. Allied Health Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Math Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Science Concentration
- Course Listing
- Distance Learning
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Courses
- Web-Enhanced Classes
- Interactive Television Courses (ITV)
- Off-Campus Locations
- Degree and Class Offerings
- Tips for Success
- Technical Considerations
- Proctored Exams
- Online Readiness
- Distance Learning FAQ
- Getting Help & Contact Information
- Resources and Support Services
- Complaint Procedures
- Register for Classes
- Articles - JCC Databases
- General Uses Databases
- Art and Music
- English and Literature
- Nursing & Allied Health
- Science and Technology
- Biographical Information
- Career Information
- Criminal Justice, Law, and Governnment
- Controversial Issues
- Films and Documentaries
- Newspapers and More
- World Cultures
- A to Z List of Databases
- Interlibrary Loan
- Research Guides
- Ask a Librarian
- Citing Sources
- Distance Learners
- Info Literacy Tutorial
- Library Toolkit
- About the Library
- Contact Information
- Faculty Resources
- Library Hours
- Community & Outreach
- JCC Alumni
- College in High School
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Student Records/Transcripts
- College Catalog
- Commencement Information
- Programs of Study
Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration
The Program (HEGIS Code 5011.10)
The Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. degree program positions students to take a leadership role in career areas involving culinary, hotel/restaurant management, tourism, and winery management.
Students in the Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S degree program choose one of the following three concentration areas:
Culinary Arts Concentration
The Culinary Arts Concentration of the Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. degree program is designed to give graduates maximum access to the best jobs in the field. They are generally competitive with graduates from four year programs in terms of starting salaries and management opportunities, with the exception of some positions in larger firms.
The program has an internship component, which allows students to gain real-world experience in their field and make job/career contacts.
Students graduating from the Culinary Arts Concentration of the Hospitality and Tourism program with an A.A.S. degree will:
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and plan a diverse range of hospitality events, such as festivals, weddings, conventions, and business meetings.
- Analyze career paths within the hospitality, food service, tourism, and recreation industries.
- Explain and apply human resource strategies in order to operate a lodging, foodservice, or related service operation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical food safety knowledge and practices.
This concentration will prepare students for employment in the second largest job market in the country. The foodservice industry is a dynamic and challenging array of employment opportunities. The culinary arts coursework in our program will prepare you for a rewarding and satisfying career. Culinary arts students will work in our hospitality facilities to prepare a variety of dinner events and luncheons. Visiting chefs and winemakers are regular guest lecturers in our kitchen and dining room.
Some of the employment opportunities available to graduates include:
- Line cook
- Sous chef
- Executive chef
- Pastry chef
- Foodservice director
- Catering director
- Food journalist
- Food photographer
- Corporate chef
- Food salesperson
- Food stylist
- Foodservice educator
- Corporate research chef
Some positions may require additional study or additional work experience in a related specialty and almost one third of our graduates continue their education at four year schools..
Although the program is designed to prepare graduates to enter the workforce after completing the Associate degree, nearly one-third of our graduates choose to pursue a baccalaureate degree. The most popular transfer destinations include Niagara University, Rochester Institute of Technology and Paul Smith’s College. Jefferson has partnered with some select academic institutions and developed agreements that help students transfer smoothly to specific baccalaureate programs. Currently, formal agreements exist with:
SUNY Cobleskill, Culinary Arts, B.B.A.
Franklin University, Applied Management, B.S.
Paul Smith’s College, Hotel, Resort and Tourism Management, B.S.
SUNY Empire State College, Business Management, B.S.
Alexander Pope Vickers, Hospitality and Tourism Department Chair
Julie Hosbach, Winery Program Director
Application and Admissions Information
Office of Admissions
315-786-2277 or Toll Free 1-888-435-6522