- Academics Menu
- Programs of Study
- Bachelors & Advanced Degrees
- Honors Program
- Academic Policies
- Articulation Agreements
- Accounting A.A.S.
- Accounting A.S.
- Accounting Certificate
- Business Administration A.A.S.
- Business Administration A.S.
- Business Administration (jointly registered with SUNY Potsdam) A.S./B.S.
- Computer Information Systems A.S.
- Computer Information Technology A.A.S.
- Computer Science A.S.
- Criminal Justice A.S.
- Criminal Justice Certificate
- Early Childhood AAS
- Engineering Science AS
- Fire Protection Technology Certificate
- Fire Protection Technology AAS
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism Certificate
- Human Services AS
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. Literature Concentration
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA/BA
- Individual Studies AA, AS, AAS
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.- Creative Writing Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.
- Office Studies Certificate
- Office Technologies - Administrative Assistant A.A.S.
- Paralegal A.A.S.
- Office Technologies - Medical A.A.S.
- Paramedic AAS
- Paramedic Certificate
- Physical Education, A.S.
- Renewable Energy Management Certificate
- Sports Management AS
- Teaching Assistant Certificate
- Winery Management & Marketing Certificate
- Chemical Dependency A.A.S.
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Hotel/Restaurant Management Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration
- Course Listing
- Distance Learning
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Courses
- Web-Enhanced Classes
- Interactive Television Courses (ITV)
- Off-Campus Locations
- Degree and Class Offerings
- Tips for Success
- Technical Considerations
- Proctored Exams
- Online Readiness
- Distance Learning FAQ
- Getting Help & Contact Information
- Resources and Support Services
- Complaint Procedures
- Register for Classes
- Articles - JCC Databases
- General Uses Databases
- Art and Music
- English and Literature
- Nursing & Allied Health
- Science and Technology
- Biographical Information
- Career Information
- Criminal Justice, Law, and Governnment
- Controversial Issues
- Films and Documentaries
- Newspapers and More
- World Cultures
- A to Z List of Databases
- Interlibrary Loan
- Research Guides
- Ask a Librarian
- Citing Sources
- Distance Learners
- Info Literacy Tutorial
- Library Toolkit
- About the Library
- Contact Information
- Faculty Resources
- Library Hours
- Community & Outreach
- JCC Alumni
- College in High School
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Student Records/Transcripts
- College Catalog
- Programs of Study
Hospitality and Tourism Certificate
Apply for Admission | General Education Requirements | Articulation Agreements
The Program (HEGIS Code 5011.10)
The Hospitality and Tourism certificate program is designed to give graduates good preparation for professional entry level jobs in the field. The certificate allows significant tailoring to meet students’ specific needs or interests.
The certificate is also an excellent vehicle to allow graduates to enter the field quickly and then return for more training as their careers progress.
The Hospitality and Tourism certificate program positions students to enter the fields of hotel/restaurant management or kitchen management/culinary work.
The hospitality and tourism field can be glamorous and exciting but usually involves long hours and hard work. Formal education is an important factor in holding all but the lowest skilled jobs in the industry although education beyond a 2 year degree is normally not required for most positions. A certificate allows students to begin their professional career quickly. They can then plan to continue their education at different points, as their career progresses.
Experience is a key factor in this industry and graduates are advised to seek initial employment in positions where they can gain broad experience and be involved in as many aspects of the industry as possible. Virtually every job in this field requires regular contact with the public and an emphasis on good customer service.
Alexander Pope Vickers, Hospitality and Tourism Department Chair
Application and Admissions Information
Office of Admissions
315-786-2277 or Toll Free 1-888-435-6522