Tracking Pixel

Jefferson Community College Website

Admission Requirements

Jefferson Community College is a member of the State University of New York and is officially designated as a full opportunity college. SUNY Jefferson is sponsored by Jefferson County, and residents of the county are given first preference for admission. However, the College accepts and encourages applications from other counties, states and countries.

General admission requirements: high school diploma or equivalent

Applicants must be a graduate of a recognized, accredited high school to be admitted as a matriculated student, or have earned a GED, or meet the academic standards on the approved college test.

After submitting a free application for admission, please request that your transcript be sent to Enrollment Services, Office of Admission in order to complete your application.

Diplomas such as IEP and annotated are not valid documents unless the school certifies the student has met all requirements including successful completion of the New York State Regents competency tests.

The College reserves the right to determine full or part-time study, admissibility to certain programs and matriculated status.

International students

International students are warmly welcomed to apply to SUNY Jefferson. Our college hosts many international students, who come from every corner of the globe – from Australia, to Vietnam, to Malawi. SUNY Jefferson is located only 30 miles from the Canadian border and has many students attend from Canada. We are on the approved list for the Canadian OSAP program (Ontario Student Assistant Program). 

An international student is a student who needs an F-1 student visa to study in the U.S. International students should complete the International Student Application, provide academic records, and  submit proof of meeting the English proficiency requirement. Since international students are not eligible for federal or state financial aid, financial documentation must also be provided to show that the student has the funding for all necessary tuition, fees and living expenses. 

Applicants without a recognized high school diploma

Applicants who are above the age of compulsory education (generally 16 years old) and have not graduated from high school may be admitted to a degree program based on individual academic preparation, approved college test scores, and recommendations. Students who are admitted but do not have a recognized high school diploma must complete a 24-credit hour access program required for the equivalency diploma. The equivalency diploma may be earned by completing the high school equivalency exam or through earned college credit. Note: Federal financial aid is not available until the high school equivalency is completed. However, New York state residents who study full-time and meet eligibility requirements may be able to get financial aid through the state Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Students interested in this option should submit an application, apply for aid and explore their available benefits and study plan.

Correspondence high school diplomas

Applicants who graduated from a correspondence school or other non-traditional school must provide proof that the education department of the state from which the diploma was issued recognizes the diploma as meeting high school graduation requirements.

Applicants who have completed a home schooled education

Applicants who have completed a home schooled education must provide a high school transcript and a letter from the school superintendent in the district in which the student resides attesting to the applicant’s approved home school education. Home schooled applicants from other states must provide verification that the home school graduation equivalency is recognized, authorized, or approved by the state education department where the education was attained.

Early Admission

The Early Admission program allows motivated high school students the opportunity to enroll in college-level courses and earn college credit while still enrolled in high school. College-level courses may be taken for personal enrichment or to meet graduation requirements. Admission will be determined by academic preparation, a recommendation by the high school counselor, and approval from parents or guardian. Students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid while still enrolled in high school.


Students who previously attended SUNY Jefferson as a matriculated student and are in good standing are eligible to register without re-applying. If it has been 5 or more years since attending SUNY Jefferson, it is necessary to re-apply for admission in order to update the information in the student record.

Readmission after dismissal - Students who have been academically dismissed and have not attended as a matriculated student for at least one semester may request readmission. Students will be required to complete a success plan with an advisor before registering for classes. Note that readmission to the college does not guarantee reinstatement of financial aid. Please contact Enrollment Services at (315) 786-2355 to determine federal and state aid eligibility.

Admission for a second associate’s degree - Students who have completed an associate degree at SUNY Jefferson and are seeking a second degree from SUNY Jefferson should submit an application to return.  A minimum of 15 additional credit hours must be required in order to complete the second degree. 

Contact Information

Tel: 315-786-2437, or toll-free 888-435-6522


     SUNY Jefferson Enrollment Services, Office of Admissions

     Jules Center 6-010 (Ground floor)

     1220 Coffeen Street

     Watertown, NY 13601

SUNY Jefferson is committed to Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination; an applicant’s admission to SUNY Jefferson is determined without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction or any other basis prohibited by Federal and state law.