Tracking Pixel

Jefferson Community College Website

Frequently Asked Questions

The services offered include:

  • Pre-freshman Summer Program – A required orientation program introducing students to the college, to EOP, and to the support services available to help students reach their educational and career goals.
  • Tutoring program - Professional tutors to help students in academic coursework at no cost to EOP student.
  • General academic advisement - Counselors are available to assist the student in identifying interests, abilities, and expectations, and to help students plan and reach their degree and transfer goals.
  • Supplemental assistance grant - A direct aid grant to eligible EOP students based on need for books and educationally related expenses. Awards range from $200 to $300 per academic year.
  • EOP/HEOP Transfer - Eligibility for transfer as an undergraduate to participating New York State colleges and universities as an (H)EOP student.
  • Extended TAP - Up to 10 semesters of TAP (New York State Tuition Assistance Program) based on need.

Q:  Does the EOP office which provides disability-related IEP accommodations?

A: No. EOP and disabilities accommodations are separate services. Information on disabilities services at the college may be found by calling 315-786-2288.

Q: Is EOP a financial aid program?

A: Not primarily. Although most students who receive EOP support do receive an additional direct aid grant, other support services from EOP are emphasized.

Q: Does EOP pay tuition and housing cost?

A: No. The EOP direct aid grant that students receive may be used for books and supplies or living expenses, but may not be used for tuition. Housing costs typically total far more than EOP direct aid. Other grants and loans are required to meet these expenses. It is also not possible for EOP to apply aid to housing deposits or application fees, which are due before excess financial aid comes to the student.

Q: Where can I get more information about the financial aid at Jefferson?

A: There is a lot of information call 315-786-2350.

Q: Is there additional information on financial planning and paying for college you can offer?

A: Students applying for or participating in EOP at Jefferson are encouraged to plan carefully for the financial side of college attendance. You can use our Financial services site, which contains much information on financial planning and choices for college students. You are strongly encouraged to come in and meet with EOP staff, or arrange a time to talk on the phone, if there is any way we can help you with understanding your financial aid award, what your college costs will be, and how to plan and budget for your college attendance.

Q: What kind of income documentation may be needed for EOP admission?

A: EOP applicants are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with documentation of family income to verify economic eligibility for admission to the program. We must receive proof of all income, including non-taxable income. All income documents must state the total received for the year. The following documentation may be required depending on the family's source(s) of income:

To Document:   

We will need:


Copies of completed IRS Forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with signatures, and W-2 forms. If family income is mostly from non-taxable sources, and income tax forms are not filed, we need proof of non-filing, obtained by filing form 4506-T with the IRS.


1099-G or equivalent statement

Nontaxable Income

Social Services

Benefit statement from all County Department(s) of Social Services from which cash assistance was received

Social Security or SSI

Form 1099 or statement from Social Security Administration of the Federal Government

Worker's Compensation

Statement from appropriate agency Pensions, and/or or insurance company or VA non-educational benefits

Child Support

Statement from County Child Support Collection Unit or copy of court document