- Admissions Menu
- How to Apply
- Admission Requirements
- Applications and Forms
- Contact Admissions
- Visit Campus
- Visit us On the Road
- Accepted Student Information
- Request Information
Information for Adult Learners
Jefferson Community College offers more options than ever before for adults who want to continue their education. Jefferson provides a welcoming and supportive learning environment whether you want to take just one course, pursue a certificate, earn your associate’s degree, earn a bachelor’s or a master’s degree with one of our Jefferson Higher Education Center partners, or just take a Jefferson Express personal enrichment course.
Our adult students have find that Jefferson offers many services and programs that have to helped them to achieve success and reach their educational, personal and professional goals.
Most adult learners:
- Started college years ago and were unable to finish due to work and family responsibilities or
- Never had a chance to start college or
- Have a college degree, and now wish to enter a different field of study, or take classes for personal enrichment.
- Look for flexibility if college offerings that allows them to balance education, work, and personal lives.
Whatever your reasons for attending, Jefferson welcomes you and is dedicated to your success.
- A quick and easy application process that can be completed entirely online. If you have questions about Jefferson, the application process or would like to take a campus tour, feel free to contact our Admissions Office at 315-786-2277. To schedule a campus tour or for more information about Jefferson, call, email, or visit the Welcome Center
- An academic assessment so advisors can assist with appropriate class selection.
- Personalized academic advising; assistance with scheduling classes and registration.
- The most affordable tuition in the area and financial aid and scholarship opportunities to get you started!
Degree Programs and Workshops
We have more than 30 degree and certificate programs at Jefferson. Our certificate and career programs will prepare you to enter the workforce after one or two years of study. We also offer numerous degrees designed for easy transfer to a four-year college if you plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Several degrees can be completed by taking the majority of your courses during the evening (5:00 p.m. or later) and supplementing them with online courses. You can even earn six of our degrees completely online, from the convenience of your own home. Our non-credit Jefferson Express workshops can help you grow personally and professionally.
Jefferson helps you balance college, work and family by offering courses:
- In traditional 15 week spring and fall semesters
- In 8 week blocks each fall, spring and summer
- In abbreviated summer and winter intersessions
Plus, depending upon your program of study, you can continue with your bachelor’s degree right here on campus at the Jefferson Higher Education Center (JHEC). Jefferson has partnered with several four-year colleges that offer bachelor’s degree completion programs right on JCC’s campus, including Bryant & Stratton College, Keuka College, SUNY Cobleskill, SUNY Empire State College, SUNY Potsdam. Additionally, SUNY Potsdam, SUNY Upstate Medical University and SUNY Empire offer several master’s degree programs at the JHEC as well.
Services for Success
- Academic planning, advisement, and transfer and personal counseling services in the Advising, Career, and Transfer Center(ACTC)
- Career assessment and planning, job placement, resume writing workshops, and interview skills workshops at the Advising, Career, and Transfer Center (ACTC).
- Study skill assistance, free peer and professional tutoring, and disabilities services through the Learning & Success Center.
- Strategies to Achieve Results (STAR) services for eligible students, including those who are the first in their family to attend college (“first generation”) or who meet certain academic and income guidelines
- Licensed on-campus childcare for children ages 21 months to 5 years during the fall and spring semesters
- Opportunities to network with your peers at clubs and events geared specifically for adult students, or join other veterans in the Veterans’s Lounge