- Student Life Menu
- Housing & Residence Life
- About Housing & Residence Life
- Apply / Pay Deposit
- Room & Board Rates
- Campus Dining
- Suite Options
- Important Dates
- What to Bring
- Resident Handbook
- Meet Our Staff
- RA Selection
- Residence Hall Association
- Student Activities
- Health & Wellness
- Campus Dining
- Campus Safety & Security
- Services for Students
- Health & Wellness Center
- Child Care
- Personal Counseling
- Career Counseling Services
- Job Placement Services
- CARES Team
- Jefferson Community School
- Title IX
- CARES Team
- Student Handbook
- Explore Watertown
- FSA-Faculty Student Association
FAQs about Sigma Alpha Pi
Sigma Alpha Pi: The National Society of Leadership and Success is a national leadership honor society (not a fraternity or a sorority) for college students. It is a student organization at Jefferson Community College Each year, students are invited to join Jefferson’s Sigma Alpha Pi chapter as a result of their academic accomplishments and leadership potential.
- Who was invited to join Sigma Alpha Pi for the spring 2017 semester?
Incoming Jefferson students and current Jefferson students with a minimum GPA of 2.2 or better.
- When is the deadline to sign up and pay the one-time $85 fee?
The deadline to join for the spring semester is Friday, February 24th.
- What does the one-time registration fee of $85 cover?
The $85 one-time registration fee covers the following Sigma Alpha Pi costs:
- Local chapter induction ceremony, invitations, and other chapter activities
- National scholarships and awards
- Member registration
- Member items (training certificate, t-shirt, membership pin, etc.)
- Personal coaching for students as members
- Development of the members’ web site
- Materials and staff time to train the Sigma Alpha Pi chapter advisors and student board members
- Monthly newsletter
- Online Job Bank administration and development
- And more!
For the purpose of comparison, other honorary organizations often have annual dues.
Sigma Alpha Pi: The National Society of Leadership and Success has only a one-time fee.
- Is this the annual membership fee or is this just an up-front fee to be considered as a potential member? Is there an annual membership fee to belong to this society?
The $85 is a one-time fee. There is no annual membership fee.
- What does the formal induction process entail? Are only certain applicants selected to become a member?
In order to become a member, invited students must:
- Pay the one-time $85 fee
- Attend the following Orientation sessions:
1/31/17 12:30pm 6-118
- Attend Leadership Training Day
2/24/17 2:00pm 6-118
- Attend 3 Speaker Broadcasts
February 7, 2017- 7:00pm 6-002
February 21, 2017- 7:00pm 6-002
March 14, 2017- 7:00pm 6-002
- In the case of extenuating circumstances (i.e. death in the family, major illness, etc.), there is the option for students to watch a broadcast online with permission from the Sigma Alpha Pi advisers.
- Meet at least 3 times with your Success Networking Team (1-hour meetings, teams will be determined when students attend an Orientation session) after these requirements have been completed (at the student's leisure--they do not all have to be completed in one year), the student will be inducted.
All students who complete all of the above steps will become inducted members.
- What types of activities do the members of Sigma Alpha Pi engage in?
Here are more details about the variety of activities coordinated by Sigma Alpha Pi. In addition to the events below, the members have the option to participate in community service and other casual networking socials planned by the student-run Executive Board.
- Orientation. The first meeting each semester where students are introduced to the Society.
- Speaker Broadcast Series. A speaker series of the highest caliber via live interactive broadcast. There are six speaker broadcasts per academic year.
- Leadership Training Day. A two and one-half hour interactive and introspective video-based leadership training with workbooks designed to help students identify fears/limitations and clarify their purpose/goals.
- Success Networking Teams (SNTs). Students meet in teams to help set and hold one another accountable to goals using a highly specialized method to produce positive results.
- Induction. Students, parents, faculty, and administration come together to celebrate accomplishments and receive awards and scholarships given by The National Society of Leadership and Success.
- What is the typical time commitment that students must make?
In general, to become a fully inducted member, students generally spend 5-6 hours per month (approximately 60-90 minutes per week) attending Sigma Alpha Pi events or programs. The amount of time spent on Sigma Alpha Pi involvement is completely up to individual students as they complete the membership process toward induction at their own pace.
Many of the programs and events coordinated by Sigma Alpha Pi occur during the evenings, and sometimes on weekends. Upon induction, if students choose to apply for and are selected to be on the Executive Board, the time commitment increases to 10-15 hours per month (approximately 3 hours per week).
- What are the benefits of being an inducted member?
Among the benefits listed in the invitation letter students received, additional benefits to joining Sigma Alpha Pi include:
- Networking opportunities with students, staff, and faculty at Jefferson
- Building relationships with others who are committed to pursuing leadership and academics
- Eligibility to apply for scholarships from the Sigma Alpha Pi national headquarters
- Self-exploration and self-discovery
- The opportunity to apply to be part of the student-led Executive Board
To see further details, please visit the Sigma Alpha Pi website http://www.societyleadership.org/ for more membership benefits.
- Is this the only time students are invited?
We also invite select Jefferson students to join at the beginning of the fall 2017 semester. Students who do not receive a formal invitation can apply online through a process where they will need to request faculty recommendations and write a short personal statement. For more information about this process, please visit http://societyleadership.org/nomination/application.php
- How many Jefferson Community College students hold membership in Sigma Alpha Pi?
Currently, there are 500 active members in Sigma Alpha Pi at Jefferson.
- Who can I contact for more information or with questions about Sigma Alpha Pi?
The advisers of Sigma Alpha Pi, Frank Doldo and Brandi Williams, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.