Tracking Pixel

Jefferson Community College Website

Safety First So Everyone Goes Home Fire Seminar on Apr. 19

Jefferson Community College (JCC) will host the 3rd Annual Garrett Loomis Fire Safety seminar entitled Safety First so Everyone Goes Home on Saturday, April 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in Sturtz Theater. Dwelling fires is the focus of this year’s seminar. Registration is free and open to all fire, rescue and emergency medical services (EMS) personnel of Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Onondaga and Oneida Counties. 

Billy Goldfeder, Deputy Fire Chief of the Loveland-Symmes Fire Department in Ohio, will lead the 4-hour seminar through video, audio and wake up lecture with an in depth review of recent fire ground events. Chief Goldfeder is a news editorial columnist for and associate contributing editor for Fire Engineering, FireRescue magazine, and Firehouse magazine. A 41 year veteran of fire service, Chief Goldfeder has spoken on numerous topics relating to firefighter safety and survival, risk management, leadership, combination fire departments, and fireground staffing. He has served on the National Firefighters Near Miss Reporting Task Force Board, several committees of the National Fire Protection Association and International Association of Fire Chiefs, and served for more than 25 years as an instructor at the Fire Department Instructors Conference.

Register online for the Safety First so Everyone Goes Home seminar. For more information, email Captain T.G. Kolb of the Watertown Fire Department at There is no deadline to register and walk-ins are welcome.

Sponsored by the JCC Fire Protection Technology Program.

The seminar is part of the Garrett Loomis Fire Safety and Educational Series made possible through the Northern New York Community Foundation and the Garrett Loomis Fund. Loomis was the Assistant Fire Chief of the Sackets Harbor Volunteer Fire Department and a member of the Firefighters Local F-105 Fort Drum Fire and Emergency Services when he died in April 2010 on the scene of a silo fire.