- Academics Menu
- Programs of Study
- Bachelors & Advanced Degrees
- Honors Program
- Academic Policies
- Articulation Agreements
- Accounting A.A.S.
- Accounting A.S.
- Accounting Certificate
- Business Administration A.A.S.
- Business Administration A.S.
- Business Administration (jointly registered with SUNY Potsdam) A.S./B.S.
- Computer Information Systems A.S.
- Computer Information Technology A.A.S.
- Computer Science A.S.
- Criminal Justice A.S.
- Criminal Justice Certificate
- Early Childhood AAS
- Engineering Science AS
- Fire Protection Technology Certificate
- Fire Protection Technology AAS
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism Certificate
- Human Services AS
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. Literature Concentration
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA/BA
- Individual Studies AA, AS, AAS
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.- Creative Writing Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.
- Office Studies Certificate
- Office Technologies - Administrative Assistant A.A.S.
- Paralegal A.A.S.
- Office Technologies - Medical A.A.S.
- Paramedic AAS
- Paramedic Certificate
- Physical Education, A.S.
- Renewable Energy Management Certificate
- Sports Management AS
- Teaching Assistant Certificate
- Winery Management & Marketing Certificate
- Chemical Dependency A.A.S.
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Hotel/Restaurant Management Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration
- Zoo Technology A.A.S.
- Agri-Business, A.A.S.
- Early Childhood A.S.
- Energy Technology Certificate
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S. Allied Health Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Math Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Science Concentration
- Course Listing
- Distance Learning
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Courses
- Web-Enhanced Classes
- Interactive Television Courses (ITV)
- Off-Campus Locations
- Degree and Class Offerings
- Tips for Success
- Technical Considerations
- Proctored Exams
- Online Readiness
- Distance Learning FAQ
- Getting Help & Contact Information
- Resources and Support Services
- Complaint Procedures
- Register for Classes
- Articles - JCC Databases
- General Uses Databases
- Philosophy and Religion
- Art and Music
- English and Literature
- Nursing & Allied Health
- Science and Technology
- Biographical Information
- Career Information
- Criminal Justice, Law, and Governnment
- Controversial Issues
- Newspapers and More
- World Cultures
- A to Z List of Databases
- Films, Music, and Images
- Research and Subject Guides
- Interlibrary Loan
- Ask a Librarian
- Citing Sources
- Distance Learners
- Info Literacy Tutorial
- About the Library
- Faculty Resources
- Alumni and Community
- Library Hours
- Contact Information
- College in High School
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Student Records/Transcripts
- College Catalog
- Commencement Information
- Programs of Study
Office Studies Certificate
This program provides administrative office training for those students who have had no previous office training or to provide advanced training for those who possess office and computer skills to a limited degree and desire an increase in or updating of present skills. In addition, this certificate program provides a basic core of work which may be applied towards the Office Technologies A.A.S. degree programs. This program may be completed in one year of full-time study or on a part-time basis over an extended period of time.
Students graduating from the Office Studies Certificate program will:
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate, create and communicate professional and effective oral and written means of communication (memorandums, letters, fax cover sheets, reports, and agendas).
- Demonstrate keyboarding and data-entry speed and accuracy using industry accepted standards.
- Demonstrate communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, emphasizing managerial and leadership ability as well as team work.
Students entering this program are required to purchase or lease a professional microcomputer system for home use. Computers are an integral part of all course instruction within the Office Studies program. Computer specifications are available at www.sunyjefferson.edu or upon request.
This certificate program prepares the student for entry-level and general office level positions in business, industry, and government.
Administrative office duties include handling telephone calls, greeting visitors, determining visitor needs, and scheduling appointments. Duties may include keyboarding documents, reports, and forms using a variety of software applications; filing and retrieving documents; sorting and distributing mail, scheduling and posting information to records using electronic mail and calendars.
Careers may include office support staff, receptionist, clerk typist, file clerk, keyboarding specialists, microcomputer typist, and data entry clerk.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment in the administrative, office, and clerical support category is one of the largest occupational areas. Most organizations employ administrative support personnel to handle administrative responsibilities. Employment opportunities are best for individuals with extensive software application knowledge.
* Students entering with advanced keyboarding skills may choose from the following options:
A student may, upon successful completion of a proficiency exam, request from the Business Department, a waiver to substitute a 2-3 credit hour Business Elective (chosen from ACC, BUS, ECO and OFC); or
A student will, upon successful completion of a division-approved OFC 121 Credit by Examination, be granted 2 credit hours to meet program requirements.
**May substitute appropriate mathematics course
Stephanie Pierce, Instructor of Office Technologies
Application and Admissions Information
Office of Admissions
315-786-2277 or Toll Free 1-888-435-6522