- Academics Menu
- Programs of Study
- Bachelors & Advanced Degrees
- Honors Program
- Academic Policies
- Articulation Agreements
- Accounting A.A.S.
- Accounting A.S.
- Accounting Certificate
- Business Administration A.A.S.
- Business Administration A.S.
- Business Administration (jointly registered with SUNY Potsdam) A.S./B.S.
- Computer Information Systems A.S.
- Computer Information Technology A.A.S.
- Computer Science A.S.
- Criminal Justice A.S.
- Criminal Justice Certificate
- Early Childhood AAS
- Engineering Science AS
- Fire Protection Technology Certificate
- Fire Protection Technology AAS
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism Certificate
- Human Services AS
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. Literature Concentration
- Liberal Arts- Childhood Education AA/BA
- Individual Studies AA, AS, AAS
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities & Social Sciences A.A.- Creative Writing Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.
- Office Studies Certificate
- Office Technologies - Administrative Assistant A.A.S.
- Paralegal A.A.S.
- Office Technologies - Medical A.A.S.
- Paramedic AAS
- Paramedic Certificate
- Physical Education, A.S.
- Renewable Energy Management Certificate
- Sports Management AS
- Teaching Assistant Certificate
- Winery Management & Marketing Certificate
- Chemical Dependency A.A.S.
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Hotel/Restaurant Management Concentration
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration
- Zoo Technology A.A.S.
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S. Allied Health Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Math Concentration
- Liberal Arts & Sciences - Mathematics & Science A.S.: Science Concentration
- Course Listing
- Distance Learning
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Courses
- Web-Enhanced Classes
- Interactive Television Courses (ITV)
- Off-Campus Locations
- Degree and Class Offerings
- Tips for Success
- Technical Considerations
- Proctored Exams
- Online Readiness
- Distance Learning FAQ
- Getting Help & Contact Information
- Resources and Support Services
- Complaint Procedures
- Register for Classes
- Articles - JCC Databases
- General Uses Databases
- Art and Music
- English and Literature
- Nursing & Allied Health
- Science and Technology
- Biographical Information
- Career Information
- Criminal Justice, Law, and Governnment
- Controversial Issues
- Films and Documentaries
- Newspapers and More
- World Cultures
- A to Z List of Databases
- Interlibrary Loan
- Research Guides
- Ask a Librarian
- Citing Sources
- Distance Learners
- Info Literacy Tutorial
- Library Toolkit
- About the Library
- Contact Information
- Faculty Resources
- Library Hours
- Community & Outreach
- JCC Alumni
- College in High School
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Student Records/Transcripts
- College Catalog
- Commencement Information
- Programs of Study
Teaching Assistant Certificate
The Program (HEGIS Code 5503)
The Teaching Assistant program emphasizes essential communication skills such as composition, reading and public speaking; child development; and the background for historical and mathematical concepts. This program fulfills the academic requirements of 80-5.6 of the NYS Commissioner’s Regulations for Teaching Assistants. Additionally, all certificate requirements also apply to Jefferson’s two-year A.A. Childhood Education degree program and provide a smooth transition to baccalaureate level education programs.
Individuals employed as teaching assistants provide both instructional services to students and clerical support for certified classroom teachers. General duties of teaching assistants may include tutoring students, assisting students with available resources, working with pupils on specialized projects, and providing students with individualized attention. Teaching assistants may also correct and grade tests, maintain files and records, and assist with developing instructional materials. Teaching assistants are employed at all grade levels.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, employment of Teaching Assistants is expected to grow about as fast as the average for all occupations through 2014. Regionally, earnings for entry to mid-level positions currently range from $12,500 to $23,600.
*All certificate requirements also apply to Jefferson’s A.A. Childhood Education degree program.
Lisa Scrivani-Tidd, Associate Professor of Music
Marvin Blachman, Associate Vice President for Liberal Arts Division
Application and Admissions Information
Office of Admissions
315-786-2277 or Toll Free 1-888-435-6522