- Campus Life Menu
- Student Activities
- Services for Students
- Student Housing
- Campus Safety & Security
Resident Assistant Selection
Thank you for your interest in applying for a Resident Assistant (RA) position at SUNY Jefferson. We believe that being a Resident Assistant is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences that JCC can offer you. The information contained on this website will allow you to think critically about the RA position and complete the application process. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to email the Office of Housing & Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone us at 315-755-0411; or stop by the Dean of Students Office in Robert E. Lansing Hall.
RA Selection Timeline
- Monday, December 23, 2013: Applications available online
- Wednesday, January 29, 2014: RA Information Session
- Thursday, February 13: RA Information Session
- Friday, February 28, 2014: Deadline to submit completed RA Application by 5:00PM
- Friday, March 7, 2014: Candidates will be notified via email if they have advanced to the first interview round and provided with instructions on how to schedule their interview.
- March 10-14: Individual candidate interviews.
- March 17-21: Selection Committee candidate interviews.
- Monday, April 7, 2014: Decision letters will be emailed to candidates.
- Monday, April 14, 2014: RA Contracts must be signed and returned by 5:00PM
*All RA Candidates should attend one Information Session and must complete both the Individual and Committee interviews to be considered for a position on the Housing & Residence Life staff.
Things to Consider When Applying
Prior to beginning the application process, we encourage you to take a few minutes to review the questions below and complete a quick self-assessment.
- Are you able to be a positive Role Model with your peers and members of the community at large?
- Are you able to balance the role of the RA with the other components of your life?
- How do you handle stress, tension and anxiety?
- Are you able to handle problems without over-reacting or making inappropriate compromises?
- Are you able to learn from your experiences?
- Are you oversensitive to and critical of the shortcomings of others?
- Are you able to evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses?
- Can you relate to and advise other students without becoming personally and emotionally involved? Even when these students are close friends?
- Are you able to accept direction and advice from a supervisor?
- Are you able to professionally disagree with a colleague?
- Do you have the self-confidence to be assertive without becoming aggressive?
To be considered an eligible candidate for an RA position, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Full-time, registered student in the College’s Academic Program.
- In good academic standing (not on academic probation) with at least a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA.
- In good disciplinary standing (not currently on disciplinary probation).