- Alumni & Friends Menu
- Distinguished Alumni
- Alumni Advisory Council
- JCC Foundation
- Special Events
- Foundation Scholarships
- Brick & Herr Family Scholarship
- Carl O. and Ruth W. Bachman Memorial Scholarship
- Clarence A. Brown Memorial Rotary Club Scholarship
- Dr. John and Claire Adler Memorial Nursing Scholarship
- JCC Business Division Scholarship
- JCC Women’s Organization Scholarship
- James E. McVean Memorial Scholarship
- Joan Benton Feeney Memorial Scholarship
- Lewis-Merrill Scholarship
- Marcia E. Walton Scholarship
- New York Air Brake LLC Scholarship
- Slack Chemical Company Employee’s Scholarship
- Slack Chemical Company Science Scholarship
- The Anne Chase Maine Nursing Scholarship
- The Arthur and Lola Hewett Memorial Scholarship
- The Boone Family Scholarship
- The Carmen A. Cavallario Memorial Fund
- The Constance Walker Monroe Liberal Arts Memorial Scholarship
- The Corporal William A. Brabant Memorial Scholarship
- The Daniel S. Brady Veterans of Foreign Wars Scholarship
- The Dr. Chris Ronson Memorial Scholarship
- The Dr. and Mrs. Earle J. Kelsey Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- The Edward N. Redder Memorial Scholarship
- The Eleanor McCracken Memorial Scholarship
- The Franklin J. Mulvana Nursing Scholarship
- The Glenn and Ruth Porter Scholarship
- The Greta and Aziel LaFave Memorial Scholarship
- The House of the Good Samaritan Blanche Livermore Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- The James E. Barbour Memorial Scholarship
- The Jane Gaffney Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- The Jenelle Amedeo Berry and Christina McKenzie Berry Memorial Scholarship
- The Joyce M. Walker Memorial Nursing Scholarship
- The Lori L. Moseley Memorial Scholarship Fund
- The Maureen Duffy Leonard Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- The McCoy Family Scholarship
- The Michael A. Howard Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- The Michelle DeFranco Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- The Mr. John H. and Mrs. Geraldine U. Sheehan Liberal Arts Scholarship
- The Mr. Louis Saiff, Jr. and Mrs. Clara D. Saiff Memorial Scholarship
- The Nancy L. Sproul Memorial Scholarship
- The Paul E. Dee Hospitality and Tourism Memorial Scholarship
- The Ralph W. and I. Elizabeth Timerman Memorial Scholarship
- The Robert P. Purcell Memorial Engineering Scholarship
- The Rocco P. Canale Education Memorial Scholarship
- The Verne A. Sweet Memorial Business Scholarship
- The Vincent J. Dee Hospitality and Tourism Memorial Scholarship
- The Vincent R. Oliver Memorial Scholarship
- The Walker Family Engineering Scholarship
- The Watertown Rotary Club Scholarship
- The Wendell G. Tucker Memorial Scholarship
- The William J. Carleton Memorial Scholarship
- Giving to JCC
- Creating a Scholarship
- Foundation Board of Directors
The Maureen Duffy Leonard Nursing Memorial Scholarship
Maureen D. Duffy Leonard loved the nursing profession. As a professor of nursing for six years at Jefferson Community College, she valued the opportunity to educate students enrolled in nursing courses. This scholarship, developed by Jefferson Community College faculty members, was established in remembrance of an outstanding teacher. She was a professor who "cared about her students and treated them like intelligent equals," said her daughter, Kathleen A. Leonard.
"My mother was a busy woman, but there were always special moments we would share with each other, often not even talking. We'd just be sitting in front of the television watching some show and eating hot fudge sundaes," said Ms. Leonard.
Created in 1985, this scholarship provides financial help to a Jefferson Community College student who is enrolled in the nursing program and shows sound academic progress. The money received from this award is disbursed to a returning freshman only.
A daughter of Alex T. Duffy and the late Mildred Hodge Duffy, Maureen D. Leonard was born on July 3, 1931, in Watertown, New York. She graduated from Watertown High School and the House of the Good Samaritan Nurses Training School. She continued her studies in nursing at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, earning her bachelor of science degree in 1966 and her master's degree in 1967.
Her teaching career began at the Presbyterian Hospital in New York City, New York. After leaving the city, she came back to Watertown to teach at the House of the Good Samaritan School of Nursing and later at Jefferson Community College, where she was appointed head of the nursing department.
Throughout her years of teaching, Mrs. Leonard was an inspiration to her students. Often frustrated, tired and discouraged, they would come to her, ready to quit the program. According to Kathleen Leonard, her mother's calm voice of reason would keep them pursuing their dream.
Receiving national recognition for her outstanding accomplishments in nursing in 1984, Mrs. Leonard was named Woman of the Year by the National Medical Society and was listed in the inaugural edition of Who's Who in American Nursing.
Maureen D. Duffy Leonard was a communicant of St. Patrick's Church. She died September 9, 1985.
The Jefferson Community College Foundation is thankful to faculty members at JCC for offering this scholarship.