The Wendell G. Tucker Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was established by the family of the late Wendell G. Tucker to remember his dedication to Jefferson Community College. 'JCC and his role in its success was a priority in Wendell's life,' said his wife of 30 years, Carol M. Tucker.
Established in 1991, the scholarship is awarded to an entering JCC freshman who shows academic achievement, involvement in extracurricular activities, sociability and a potential for professional success. Recipients are selected by the General Brown High School guidance department.
Wendell G. Tucker was born on November 10, 1938, in Watertown, New York, a son of Garfield and Evelyn Kouch Tucker. He graduated from Watertown High School in 1958.
Mr. Tucker was employed by Stebbins Engineering & Manufacturing Co. from 1956 to 1977. The Watertown company subcontracted his services to the New York City firm of Parson's & Whitmore for foreign job service in Africa, Mexico and Canada.
He was employed by Jefferson County as clerk of the works for the Jefferson County Jail addition and for repairs to JCC's library roof, and by the City of Watertown to complete the addition to Flower Memorial Library.
In December 1978, Mr. Tucker joined Jefferson Community College as physical plant director, a position he held until his death. He supervised numerous construction projects on campus including the new wing of the science building; conversion of the library's lower level into classrooms; design and construction of the college's marquee, and a 16-foot by 16-foot, six-sided observatory.
Mr. Tucker was a $600 Performance Increment recipient in September 1982 for his 'commitment and contributions' to the college.
In a 1982 letter to then JCC President John T. Henderson, then JCC Dean of Administration John P. McGrath wrote:
Perhaps his finest accomplishment has been the way he has come to understand the mission of the college and the role of his department. Through his sensitivity to the needs of each department, he has developed a close rapport with all members of the faculty and staff and has earned their respect. His efforts have also resulted in praise for the condition of the campus from many visitors including recent comments from county officials and insurance inspectors.
In April 1991, two years after his death, JCC officials dedicated the Wendell G. Tucker Maintenance Area on the lower level of the science building.
Mr. Tucker served as assessor for the Town of Pamelia and was a United Way volunteer. In the summer of 1988, he volunteered time and materials to the CREDO Foundation during their expansion. Additionally, he taught an evening course in the construction of residential, heavy industrial and commercial structures for the Jefferson/Lewis Board of Cooperative Educational Services in Watertown in 1979.
He was a member of the local Bricklayers, Masons, Plasterers and Tilesetters union, the Watertown Eagles Club and the Stag Club Inc., a hunting club.
Wendell G. Tucker died of cancer March 26, 1989, at age 50. He is survived by his wife, three children and two grandsons.
The Jefferson Community College Foundation is grateful to the Tucker family for establishing this scholarship.