Winery Management and Marketing Certificate
Winery Management and Marketing Certificate Highlights
- Program Type: Career, 1-year
- Delivery: On-campus
- Personal Interests: Wine appreciation, food and dining, management
- Skill Building: Leadership, organization, communication, event planning
- Career Options: Winery operations & management, catering, tourism
- Program Code: HEGIS 5011
Please note that the Winery Management and Marketing Certificate at JCC is not accepting applications for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Prepare for your career in the winery industry
The Winery Management and Marketing Certificate at Jefferson is a one year program that provides a concentrated course work on winery operations and basic business principles.
Graduate ready for some of the best jobs in local and national wineries.
You must demonstrate ability to acquire the skills and knowledge required for successful completion of courses and meet skills expected of a hospitality industry professional. Please review the hospitality and tourism program guidelines, which outline these skills.
This program offers:
- Learning from local experts
- Networking opportunities with winery owners and marketers
- Fundamental skills and training for a fulfilling career after graduation
- Classes in marketing and management
Learn to run a winery
Graduates from Jefferson's Winery Management and Marketing Certificate program have job opportunities in a growing industry locally and nationally. You may find work as a winery manager, tasting room manager, winemaker, and more.
Several wineries operate in Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence Counties and that number is expected to grow.
Unique career opportunities
Winery owners report that the overwhelming number of jobs at any winery is in sales and marketing. Additionally, the NYS Fine Winery Bill signed into law in July 2011 allows farm wineries to open up to five off-site retail locations in New York State.
Learn to operate a winery
When you complete the Winery Management and Marketing Certificate you will be able to:
- Develop an effective business model for a winery operation
- Apply the basic, legal, financial, human resource, ethics, and other management issues critical for successful winery operation
- Pinpoint successful grape varieties, site selection and layout for a vineyard in Northern New York
Contact Enrollment Services for Application and Admissions Information
(315) 786-2437, fax (315) 786-2349 or toll free (888) 435-6522
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Friday
Put your degree to work or transfer to a four-year school
Jefferson’s program prepares graduates to enter the workforce. However, about a third of our graduates opt to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
Jefferson has formal agreements in place with the following institutions to help students transfer smoothly:
- SUNY Cobleskill, Agriculture Business Management, B.T.
- SUNY Cobleskill, Food Systems and Technology B.T.
- Franklin University, Applied Management, B.S.
- Paul Smith’s College, Hotel, Resort and Tourism Management, B.S.
- SUNY Empire State College, Business Management, B.S.
Program Name Undergraduate certificate in Winery Management and Marketing
This program is designed to be completed in 1 year
This program will cost $7,260 for in-state tuition, fees, books and supplies/$12,180 for out-of-state tuition, fees, books and supplies if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate
leaves with a median loan debt of:
Fewer than 10 students completed this program within normal time. This number has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
The following States do not have licensure requirements for this profession:
New York State
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please visit: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
Requirements for the Winery Management & Marketing Certificate
Effective Fall 2018
|Winery Management and Marketing Requirements (11 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|HOS/WIN 154: Viticulture||2|
|HOS/WIN 155: Enology||3|
|HRM 152: Wine Appreciation and Selection
|AGB Elective1,2 or WIN Elective1||3|
|Elective Requirements (15-17 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
HOS, HRM, CUL, BUS, or ACC electives3
|AGB2, HOS, HRM, CUL elective4
Total Credit Hours 26-28
|1Some ABG and WIN electives are fewer than 3 credits; make sure you have fulfilled a minimum of 3 credit hours for this requirement.|
|2Recommended AGB Electives:
AGB/WIN 100: Northern New York Agriculture
AGB 111: Survey of Agribusiness Technologies
AGB 109: Survey of Horticulture Industry Applications
AGB 207: Marketing and Sales of Agricultural Products
AGB 231: Agriculture Law and Regulations
|3Some HOS, HRM, CUL, BUS, or ACC electives are 2-4 credits; make sure you have fulfilled a minimum of 6-8 credit hours for this requirement.|
|4Some AGB, HOS, HRM or CUL electives are fewer than 3 credits; make sure you have fulfilled a minimum of 3 credit hours for this requirement.|