Criminal Justice Certificate
- Program Type: Career, one-year
- Delivery Method: On-campus
- Personal Interest: Law and justice, security
- Career Options: Law enforcement, private security companies
- Skill Building: Problem-solving, communication
- Program Code: HEGIS 5505
Build the foundation for your law enforcement career
Whether you are a recent high-school graduate, a military veteran, or a law enforcement professional with 20 years of experience, the Criminal Justice Certificate at Jefferson is a perfect first step for a successful future in law enforcement and security.
This one-year program includes core classes focused in criminal justice such as criminal administrative procedures, technical writing, psychology, sociology, and more.
This program offers:
- Strong foundation in criminal procedures
- Broad-based criminal justice coursework to enhance your skills
- Career preparation whether you’re a rookie or an experienced professional
Go to work protecting people
A certificate in criminal justice gives you an edge in many law and security related fields plus prepares you for professional employment as a police investigator, corrections officer, crime lab technician, probation officer, and dozens of other roles.
Demand for law enforcement professionals is expected to grow by 7 percent through 2026. However, employment opportunities vary by location.
Learn the law and the skills to enforce it
When you complete the Criminal Justice Certificate you will be able to:
- Prepare written material in a criminal justice setting
- Read, understand and interpret written information
- Apply written information in the form of laws, policies, procedures, directives, etc., to situations that are similar to experiences faced in the criminal justice system
- Communicate effectively
- Understand the organizational structure of criminal justice agencies
Contact Enrollment Services for Application and Admissions Information
(315) 786-2437, fax (315) 786-2349 or toll free (888) 435-6522
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Friday
Go beyond the certificate
While the Criminal Justice Certificate prepares you for entry-level work an edge when taking law related exams, many times a degree or more credits are needed. You can transfer easily into the Criminal Justice A.S. or Homeland Security A.S. programs at Jefferson, and some of your credits will transfer.
Program Name Undergraduate certificate in Criminal Justice
This program is designed to be completed in 1 year
This program will cost $7,260 for in-state tuition, fees, books and supplies/$12,180 for out-of-state tuition, fees, books and supplies if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate
leaves with a median loan debt of:
Fewer than 10 students completed this program within normal time. This number has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
The following States do not have licensure requirements for this profession:
New York State
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please visit: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
Requirements for the Criminal Justice Certificate
Effective Fall 2017
|Criminal Justice Electives (21 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|Choose Approximately Seven Criminal Justice Electives||21|
|Liberal Arts Requirements (9 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|ENG 100: College Composition or
ENG 101: Research and Composition
|SOC 144: Introduction to Sociology||3|
|SOC 245: Criminology or
SOC 246: Juvenile Delinquency
Total Credit Hours 30