Home-Based Child Care Training
The Home-Based Child Care Training program provides participants with the knowledge, skills, and support to become in-home childcare providers. Lewis County, Jefferson County, the Community Action Planning Council (CAPC), Jefferson Community College (JCC), and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) have collaborated to design this innovative program. The program is provided at no cost to participants through the generous sponsorship of Jefferson County.
Your child care provider career starts at Jefferson
The Home-Based Child Care Training program is designed to prepare you to become a home-based child care provider. At the conclusion of the program, participants are expected to have gained NYSOCFS approval to operate a home-based child care program and will have earned a Certificate of Completion from JCC. This certificate signifies competencies in early childhood education and small business management.
Let us help you start your own home-based child care business!
- Become a Home-Based Child Care Provider within four months
- Free training (Health & Safety, Red Cross, Small Business Workshops, & Family Policy Handbook workshop)
- Child care Stipend available to help you attend workshops and one-on-one meetings
- Earn 3 College Credits at JCC by taking Introduction to Early Childhood
- Program Coordinator assigned to provide individual mentorship through the program
- SBDC Advisor assigned for one-on-one business counseling
- CAPC Regulator assigned to provide guidance on NYSOCFS approval
- Access free supplies to help you start your new business
- Access to a Child Care Providers closed Facebook group
Program Kickoff Meeting
Attend a kick-off meeting where you’ll meet program team members and receive information on program partners, program details, syllabus, and schedule.
Note: The OCFS application that is required to apply for a childcare program license includes a background check.
Program requirements for Home-Based Child Care Training
|Business Requirements (16 non-credit hours)||Non-Credit Hours|
|SBDC Module 1: Business Basics||2|
|SBDC Module 2: Marketing||2|
|SBDC Module 3: Liability & Insurance||2|
|SBDC Module 4: Accounting||2|
|SBDC Module 5: Transitioning to Entrepreneurship||2|
|JCC Family Policy Handbook Workshop – Part I||3|
|JCC Family Policy Handbook Workshop – Part II||3|
|Health and Safety Requirements (20 non-credit hours)||Non-Credit Hours|
|CAPC Health & Safety Training||15|
|Red Cross First Aid & CPR Training||5|
|Early Childhood Program Requirements (3 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|ECD - 101 Introduction to Early Childhood Care and Education||3|
Total Non-Credit hours 26
Total Credit hours 3
Cost: Grant funding coverages full cost of program. Funding available to residents of Jefferson County or Lewis County.
Step 1: Complete Interest Form.
Step 2: Complete the NYS Division of Child Care Services Child Day Care Orientation (2-hour online course).
Orientation Link: https://ocfs.ny.gov/programs/childcare/providers/cdc-orientation.php
Step 3: Request an OCFS Application upon completing the NYS Division of Child Care Services Child Day Care Orientation
Step 4: Attend Program Kick-Off Meeting to finalize admissions
Date to be announced once cohort dates confirmed.
Check back soon for Cohort 4 program dates.
- Total program participant time commitment is approximately 30 hours, or 1-5 hours per week including independent work over the course of 6 months.
- Non-credit and credit training schedule TBA.
- Training is available virtually and in person at JCC Campus.