Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
Participation in CSTEP is absolutely free. Costs are covered by the New York State Education Department & SUNY Jefferson!
CSTEP is a grant program funded by the New York State Department of Education. We work to promote academic success and student preparation for majors leading to careers in mathematics, science, technology and health-related fields and licensed professions.
- Free CSTEP Apparel and products
- Reimbursement for required certifications and exams
- Textbook lending library
- Assistance with school supplies
- Paid research and internship opportunities
- Private computer lab
- Increased access to professional development opportunities
- Trips/tours to 4 year colleges and conference opportunities
- Social and academic enrichment activities
- Financial assistance with college applications
- Academic, career, and personal counseling
- Meet new people and become a part of the CSTEP Family
- And so much more!
- Be a New York State Resident
- Be a full-time student (12 credit hours matriculated)
- Have a cumulative 2.0 GPA minimum
- Identify as African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native/Alaskan American
Meet economic eligibility
- Pursing a STEM related career
Pursuing licensure in a professional field
If all other criteria are met, the automatically qualifying minorities are Black or African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American or Alaskan Native. Those who meet all other criteria and identify as White, Asian, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander, must meet economic eligibility criteria to be eligible for CSTEP.
Students who don’t qualify automatically via ethnic minority can qualify through economic means. This information is obtained through your FAFSA and has to fall within the New York State Education Departments’ Opportunity Program Eligibility guidelines.
Our first suggestion is to apply if you think that there’s a possibility you are eligible. Here are some common majors/careers that are applicable:
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Licensed Behavior Analysts
- Certified Behavior Analyst Assistants
- Athletic Training
- Certified Shorthand Reporting
- Clinical Laboratory Technology
- Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Clinical Laboratory Technicians
- Certified Histological Technicians
- Dental Anesthesia/Sedation
- Dental Hygienists
- Certified Dental Assistants
- Interior Design
- Land Surveying
- Landscape Architecture
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Physics
- Physician Assistants
- Specialist Assistants
- Mental Health Practitioners
- Creative Arts Therapists
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Mental Health Counselors
- Registered Professional Nurses
- Nurse Practitioners
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Ophthalmic Dispensing
- Pharmacy Establishments
- Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Polysomnographic Technology
- Public Accountancy
- Certified Public Accountants
- Public Accountants
- Respiratory Therapy
- Respiratory Therapists
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Social Work
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Technician
Our economic eligibility is based on your FAFSA and the NYS Education Department CSTEP and STEP Income Eligibility Criteria. If you do not know your economic status, we obtain the information from your FAFSA when you apply. Below is the NYS Opportunity programs income eligibility criteria that we use to determine eligibility.
Economic Eligibility Information (for those not meeting the minority requirement)
# Household Dependents
2023-2024 Eligible Income
*For 2023-24, add $8,732 for each additional family member in excess of 8.
Students CAN be taking classes at another college but must have a minimum of 12 credit hours matriculated through JCC to be eligible for the Jefferson CSTEP program.
Apply! If you’re not sure whether or not you are eligible we urge you to apply regardless. The eligibility criteria are listed above, if you think there’s a chance you are eligible, you should apply.
If you believe you may be eligible assure that you are full time student at JCC (12 credit hours min.). If you are not an ethnic minority you MUST have a completed FAFSA for the academic year you are applying. This is to check if you are economically eligible for CSTEP. Finally, have an idea of what your intended/desired career is.