Deadlines, Advice & More
We know this is a big deal - moving out and moving in to college. Below are some details you should know!
There are dos and don'ts so make sure you know what is on the list.
Keep up on important dates and how the academic calendar impacts East Hall.
Your room already has an extra-long twin bed, desk and chair, wardrobe closet, and dresser. Space is limited so bring only what you need now and adjust from there. Coordinate with your new suite mates for some items such as TVs and cables, DVDs, area rugs, kitchen supplies, printers, etc.
Cooking in your room or suite is restricted to coffee pots, Keurig brewer and toasters.
All suites have a small microwave oven and full-size refrigerators for your use.
All authorized items must be used on a non-combustible surface and be UL approved.
What to Bring (suggested checklist)
- Bedding: extra-long twin sheets with deep pockets, pillows, pillowcases, mattress pad or foam topper, comforter/bedspread, blankets
- Posters/pictures (bring 3M mounting products such as command strips to hang things)
- Computer incl. security cable & lock, surge protector, flash drive, mouse pad
- Printer & paper, if you don't want to use the wireless one downstairs
- Headphones/ear buds (to keep from disturbing your roommate or neighbor)
- Supplies - pens/pencils, paper, highlighters, stapler, scissors, hole punch
- Laundry detergent, dryer sheets, laundry bag or basket. It's free, but you still need soap!
- Kitchen supplies- food storage/microwavable containers, coffee mug, utensils, plates
- Cleaning supplies and garbage bags for suite/quad including bedroom, common space, kitchenette & bathroom(s). This is your space so you want to keep it clean.
- Personal toiletries, toilet paper, shower curtain & bath mats
- Clothes for all types of weather incl. rain gear, waterproof shoes & boots, winter clothing- coat, hat, gloves, scarf
- Bathrobe, slippers, sleepwear
- Towels, washcloths, shower shoes
- Under-the-bed storage containers
- Clothes hangers
- First aid kit
- Sewing kit
The following UL-approved electrical appliances are authorized for use in residence hall rooms:
- Hair dryers/straighteners/curlers
- Sewing machines
- Video game systems
- Study lamps
- Small refrigerators (less than 4.0 cubic feet)
What NOT to Bring*
- Illegal drugs
- Firearms or weapons (including imitations)
- Electrically amplified instruments including DJ equipment
- Cinder blocks
- Fireworks, explosives, propane
- Pets (approved service animals excluded)
*A complete listing of all prohibited items can be found in the Residence Life & Housing Handbook
Fall 2019 Semester
- Friday, August 23, 2019: Check-In and Move-in for all NEW Residence Hall students at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, August 23, 2019 - Sunday, August 25, 2019: Cannoneer Welcome Weekend
- Sunday, August 25, 2019: Check-In and Move-in for all RETURNING Residence Hall students at 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 26, 2019: First Day of Classes – Fall 2019 Semester
- Friday, August 30, 2019: Roommate Agreement Forms due by 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 30, 2019: Room/Suite Condition Report Forms due by 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 30, 2019: East Hall Boat Cruise, leaves 5:30pm
- Monday, September 2, 2019: Labor Day (No classes; Residence Halls remain open. College offices are closed.)
- Friday, October 4 and Monday, October 7, 2019: Fall Break (No Classes; Residence Halls remain open.)
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019: Classes Resume - Monday Schedule
- Thanksgiving Break begins November 26 at 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 27, 2019: Residence Halls close for Thanksgiving Break at 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 1, 2019: Residence Halls reopen at 8:00am.
- Monday, December 9, 2019: Last Day of Classes
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019: Reading Day
- Wednesday, December 11 – Tuesday December 17, 2019: 24-Hour Quiet Hours - Final Examinations*
- Thursday, December 19, 2019: Fall Commencement Ceremony
- Friday, December 20, 2019: Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 12:00 p.m.
*Student check-out is 24 hours after their last final examination.
I am interested in student housing, when can I apply?
You can apply now! You must be planning to attend full-time and be accepted into a degree program (matriculated). If you are a new student, you must apply for Admission first and then complete the housing application. Currently enrolled students need only to complete the housing application.
What is the cost for student housing?
Check out our current housing costs.
What is the meal plan cost and options?
All students living in East Hall will be required to purchase a minimum meal plan. View our meal plan rates. The Courtyard Cafeteria is the on-campus dining facility located in the McVean Student Center.
Is a deposit required?
Yes! An annual $250 deposit is required to reserve your space in the residence hall. It is important to reserve your space as availability is limited! The deposit is refundable only if housing is not offered.
Can financial aid be used to cover the cost of student housing?
Absolutely! In addition to tuition and fees, most types of financial aid can be used to cover living expenses including campus housing and meal plans. Jefferson’s Financial Services office will notify you of your eligibility for aid after review of your application. It is important to have your payment plan in order prior to moving in. Contact Financial Services directly if you have questions!
Are cable TV and Internet included in the total cost?
Yes! Wireless high-speed Internet and cable television connections are included in the room cost. There is also a wireless printer and computer nook for your use.
Can I bring my car?
Yes, you may bring your vehicle, parking is right next to East Hall, and it's FREE, plus a very short walk! Students must register their vehicles with Campus Safety & Security.
Can I request a roommate?
Yes you may! When you complete the Student Housing Application, there is an option to request a roommate. Although there are no guarantees, we will honor as many requests as we can based on review of current applications, criteria and space. Please note – in order to be assigned a roommate, both parties must have, at a minimum, a completed application, requested each other on the application and deposit on file.
How will housing accommodations be determined?
Housing will be available on a first-come basis. A deposit is required in order to reserve a room! A waiting list will be developed for students who sign up after East Hall reaches capacity.
How big is the student housing building?
300 students can live in East Hall, eight of whom are resident assistants located on each floor.
How many people are in each room, and are the rooms furnished?
Jefferson’s modern suite-style residence hall format accommodates 4-6 students per unit, with students living in single or shared bedrooms. Each unit is fully furnished.
What type of bed sheets will I need for East Hall?
East Hall bed mattresses are designed for twin extra long mattress bedding sheets. They are commonly referred to as twin XL, TXL, extended twin or extra long twin sheets.
What other facilities are located in the student housing complex?
In addition to suites, East Hall has classrooms, as well as laundry rooms, student lounges, a computer nook, game area and study rooms on each floor. There is NO charge to use washers/dryers. With a short walk across the street, students can access the cafeteria, the gym & fitness facility and the rest of campus.
Who staffs the building?
The residence hall has live-in residence life professionals and 8 student resident assistants. From 7am to 9pm the front desk is manned by student workers and resident assistants. Campus Safety & Security staff work 24/7 on our campus.
Are pets allowed?
There are no pets of any kind allowed in the residence hall with the exception of service animals and aquarium fish with a maximum five gallon tank per room.
Is my spouse or child able to live with me?
East Hall accommodates full time, degree-seeking Jefferson students; no families or children.
What are the room dimensions in East Hall?
The size of a single room in East Hall is 9’2” x 11’ (102 SF), & the size of a double room in East Hall is 9’2” x 21’ (195 SF), & the size of a triple room in East Hall is 9’2” x 21’ (195 SF).
Residence Life Office
East Hall, building 14